Different individuals will have different hair types, requiring each person to have an individual routine for their hair. Hair care and maintenance are significant for each person as they contribute to an individual’s overall welfare. Again, having proper hair care will improve your self-esteem and confidence in all aspects of life. Some of the care methods include the wavy and curly girl method. These ensure they address the hair according to its type.
What Does Curly Girl Method Entail?
The Curly Girl Method seeks to provide a hair care routine for naturally curly hair. This method advises people to utilize specific styling tactics and approved products to reduce frizz, accentuate curls and improve hair health. In the early 2000s, Lorraine Massey, a curl and hairstylist expert, introduced the Curly Girl Method to the world. This method has evolved over the years to incorporate various curl patterns. Nevertheless, several initial vital concepts have been retained to date. These concepts include;
- It would be best to use a bamboo towel or an old cotton t-shirt to dry your hair instead of a traditional cotton towel. This is because traditional cotton towels usually contain rough fibers, which can fray curls, leaving them frizzy. On the other hand, bamboo towels and old cotton t-shirts encompass more delicate fibers that perfectly absorb moisture without frizzing your hair.
- Avoid low-poo cleansing products that clean your hair curls without eliminating their natural protective oils. Besides, people with curly hair are more likely to have hair issues such as frizz, breakage, and dryness.
- You should detangle your hair in the shower using a conditioner. Primarily, most hair care professionals advise people to detangle their hair outside the shower while the hair is still dumped. Also, it would be best to use a comb or brush with a wide tooth. On the other hand, the Curly Girl Method emphasizes people detangling their hair from the shower after applying the conditioner. This method advises people to use their fingers to detangle the hair. This procedure helps distribute the required moisture through your curls while preventing breakage.
- Ensure you use products free from mineral oils, silicones, sulfates, and wax formulas.
- To define your hair curls, scrunch the hair using a curl activator such as curl cream or gel.
Since the Curly Girl Method seeks to achieve healthy and nicely curled hair, it is ideal for persons with naturally curly hair. It is significant to note that the method does not fit people with straight hair. However, the CG method wavy hair is applicable.
The CG method steps
Before starting the method’s steps, removing all the product build-up on your hair strands is vital through a reset to cleanse. Here, you can use an exfoliating cleanser or a shampoo having sulfate. Exfoliating cleansers usually contain compounds like apricot seeds which help eliminate build-up from your hair and scalp. The other CG method steps include cleansing, conditioning, detangling, styling, and plopping. You should repeat this process for the best results.
It is essential to avoid using alcoholic products on your curly hair as they usually dry out your hair and damage it. However, not all alcohols are toxic; for example, natural alcohol is perfect for hair growth.