When shopping for plus size clothing, you have one objective: to be comfortable and stylish. Filling your closet with clothing that is not only flattering but makes you feel beautiful requires precise knowledge about your body and style. Apart from finding the right pieces, you want to make sure every piece fits you perfectly and matches with what you’re pairing it with. How do you know what works for you? This post will cover everything you need to know when shopping for plus size clothing.
1. Understand Your Body Shape
Knowing your body shape allows you to skim the clothes designed for your shape. It helps maximize your time checking only on clothes that fit your shape. Shopping for your body type accentuates your favorite features and makes you feel more confident in your own skin. Let’s look at different body types to help you know yours.
- Apple body shape: This type features shapely legs, a full bust, and width around the middle. You will likely have the same chest, waist, and leg measurements.
- Pear body shape: A pear body has a smaller but narrow waist and a curvy or shapely bottom half.
- Hourglass body shape: Hourglass body shape has a well-defined waist, proportional bust and hips, and a rounded bottom that creates a naturally balanced shape.
- Rectangle body shape: A rectangle body shape features a rectangular body design where the shoulders are the same width as the hips. There is a small bust and undefined waist to complete this shape.
- Inverted triangle body shape: An inverted triangle shape has heavier, broader shoulders and narrower hips and legs
- Diamond body shape: For the diamond shape, the waist is the widest part, with the shoulders and bust slightly smaller than the hips.
2. Carry Your Measurements With You
Take your measurements frequently. If you haven’t taken the measurements in the past two weeks, consider taking new ones. It’s even more important if you want to lose weight, add or maintain. Having your measurements simplifies things for you, especially when shopping online.
It’s critical to remember that sizing varies greatly from one store to another, which can be a challenge if you don’t understand your size correctly. If you’re unsure of your size, seek help from the salesperson to get the size that fits you best. Most clothing stores provide a sizing guide to make things easier for you based on the measurements you have.
3. Know Your Options for Dresses
It’s almost impossible to go shopping without getting yourself a few plus size dresses. While you may want to try different styles, there exist specific guidelines that can help you know your best dress styles. Your dress options include:
- A-line dress: A classic shape that tucks in your waist and gently tapers down.
- Pintuck dress: It’s a new trend that comes from modifying A-style. It features a flowing skirt or flirty look.
- Faux or wrap dress: It’s the most common type of dress for women with bigger features as it is adjustable to any body size and hugs the curves very well.
- Maxi dress: It’s a style that can be attractive for plus-size girls. They help maintain a defined waist.
- Shark bite hem dress: A lovely stylish dress featuring an asymmetrical hemline. It helps make you less big.
- Can dresses: Known for their tightness, these dresses are also called bar dresses and are most suitable for evenings. They are attractive and tend to tuck you very well.
When shopping, carry a list of the items you want to buy and prioritize the main items. For instance, you may want to start with the actual clothing before you get their accessories. Some absolute must-have plus-size items include a good pair of jeans, a statement dress, a tunic top, and a crisp white button-up. Know what you already have and get what you need. Remember to blend in the colors.
5. Avoid Too Baggy or Too Loose
For many years, plus size women have been told that the baggier the clothing, the better. While this is okay, it needs proper styling to ensure you get the best ensemble possible. For instance, if you wear a loose-fitting top, you can pair it with a pencil skirt or form-fitting jeans. Follow the same principles as when you’re shopping for shapewear. Any interruptions to your line will be visible if it’s too tight. Too loose or oversized may highlight unwanted areas.
6. Focus on Comfort
Only choose items that you’re comfortable wearing. The pieces should help you feel more confident. Have as many options as possible and buy what you feel makes you look best. If you love maxi dresses, get several. Do you like tunic tops? Make them a priority when you go shopping next. Focus on clothing that makes you feel amazing.