Whether you are among those who regularly paint their nails as a part of the self-care routine or love picking at the cuticles, we always yearn for one thing.
Any guesses? Yes, we yearn to have healthy and strong nails.
Be it your friend’s birthday party or the offices’ corporate event, the first thing everyone notices about you is the nails.
With that said, we talked to a Soho nail bar professionals to know what it takes to get stronger and healthy nails.
Let us find out what secrets they revealed for the same, especially in regards to what points to the nails being unhealthy
Signs of Unhealthy Nails
Some of the most obvious signs of unhealthy nails include:
- Peeling or splitting nails leads to dryness or is a result of vitamin deficiency.
- Red and swollen skin around nails happens when one removes or bites the cuticles.
- Spoon-shaped nails point towards signs of iron deficiency or anemia.
- Small white spots making it clear the person has a nail-biting habit or paints them too often.
- Horizontal grooves occur from stress, jamming of fingers, or high fever.
In the case, it has been some time you took care of nails, and they are showing any of the signs above, then it is time to meet a specialist.
However, some of you might be wondering as to what are the signs of healthy nails. Read on below to find out.
- The nail plates are pinkish-white in color
- Nails and white tips are at even lengths
- Half-moon shaped white section; AKA Lunula is visible at the nail base
- Cuticles are present
“How Can I Ensure My Nails Are Healthy and Strong?”
The Soho Nail Bar professionals offered a few practical tips to have healthy and stronger nails.
Let us find out what they have to say about it.
- Clean Hands are necessary
- Before trying anything, you must make sure the nails and skin around them are dirt-free.
- Make sure to remove every trace of the last nail paint color with an acetone-free remover.
- You can also apply soap on a toothbrush and then gently scrub the nails and skin.
- Afterward, you will need to remove the dirt and exfoliate any dead skin without using any dry or harsh chemicals or scrub.
- Clipping Nails is a Must
- Make sure that you regularly trim the nails.
- The Soho Nail Bar experts recommend that you set aside some time every two weeks for clipping the new growth.
- Keep a Nail File on Hand
- If you are among those who work out at the gym, which leads to some wear and tear of nails, keep a nail file tool handy to smooth the rough edges.
- Nail experts recommend that you should work in one direction with the grain of the nail for a smooth finishing.
- You can also try a glass nail filer, which will help create a smooth edge to the nail and even useful on brittle and damaged nails.
- Ignore the Cuticles
- You might think of cuticles as a nuisance, but on the contrary, these serve a great purpose, which includes sealing the area at the base of the nail.
- Once you remove the cuticle, it destroys that layer of protection, which leaves the nails open to bacteria with the possibility of infection.
- In short, you should leave the cuticles, as they play an essential role in reducing the hangnails.
- However, if you are unable to keep your hands off the cuticles, make sure to push it back a little with a wooden orange stick after taking a bath.
- You can also massage these with cuticle oil or creamy lotion.
- Read the Labels on the Polish
- Not every nail polish created, keeping in mind quality control, so you need to purchase the right nail paint.
- The Soho Nail Bar experts recommend you should avoid nail polish containing toxic chemicals, including Dibutylphthalate, Formaldehyde, and Toluene.
- Moreover, these chemicals are contributors to brittleness, splitting, and cracking of nails.
- Place Nail Health before Length
- Although you will undoubtedly get praises for the long nails, as these look beautiful, but at the same time, these are also prone to snags or breakage.
- You need to have short nails with rounded edges, which are much easier to manage and look neat.
- With shorter nails, you would be able to build strength without worrying about anything else.
- Until each nail has the same shape and matches the other nails, you don’t need to have additional length.
- Maintain the Tools Too
- Make sure to disinfect the nail care tools between each use, as it is equally important as is cleaning the makeup brushes.
- To keep the nails clean and infection-free, experts advise washing the metal nail care tools with soap and water and wiping them with rubbing alcohol.
- The soho nail bar experts recommend never to forget replacing disposable tools, as there is no benefit to using a damaged tool when you can get one from the market.
- Use a Nail Base Coat
- There is no excuse for painting your nails at home and cutting corners by avoiding the base coat.
- This one simple thing keeps the nails safe from any stains by the polish and makes the color look better and opaque with a single coat.
- You can add a layer of clear gloss between each layer to add some extra shine and protection.
- Wear Gloves While Doing the Dishes
- When you are working with harsh chemicals, work, as in doing gardening or any work requiring dirtying the hands, make sure to wear rubber, nitrile, vinyl, or plastic gloves.
- Cleaning something in hot and soapy water is bound to give your nails a hard time and weaken them.
- Make sure to wear a pair of mittens or gloves to ensure the nails are safe from any damage.
Without a doubt, following a proper nail care routine will not only keep them healthy but also make them stronger in the end. If you want to know the best way to ensure healthy nails, then connect with a soho nail bar professionals right away.